Monday, July 26, 2010

Sick of covering up scars, don't want people to see them though, what should I do?

I've been wearing long sleeves for as long as I can remember, and I'm getting sick of it. My scars are really noticable though, and I don't want people to notice them.


I've stopped selfharming; or haven't done it a couple of weeks, and am trying to stop; but I want the benefits of stopping by having my arms back.


What should I say if people comment?


I think I'm going to start work in a place where I have to wear short sleeves - in a nursing home.


I just really need to know what to do/say if people notice. Or anything I can do to stop them noticing.Sick of covering up scars, don't want people to see them though, what should I do?
Speak to your doctor about camoflage creams. I was referred to a scars clinic (They are also run by the Red Cross)for mine and was given a cream and powder (similair to foundation) that exactly matches my skin tone. It's called Derma colour and lasts ages. It's also waterproof and available on prescription. It takes time to master the application technique but is well worth it. It's amazing how well it works and you'll never have to hide away again! Good luck. XSick of covering up scars, don't want people to see them though, what should I do?
Ah this is an awkward one,in my experience people often just know what they are if they see them and they don't say anything. If they do you can either lie extravagently or be honest and say 'I used to cut myself but I've stopped now' (even if you haven't totally stopped, they don't have to know!) If you're going to be working somewhere where you have to wear short sleeves then maybe explain to your boss why you have those scars-it could be very awkward but at least they'll know about them and you won't be so scared of them seeing. I used to cut my arms a lot and then I discovered the benefits of cutting your stomach and thighs instead because no one can see them! I have scars on my arms but I wear short sleeves quite a bit,no one has asked me awkard quesions about them for years now. I remember saying that I'd fallen off my bike into brambles once but the person so didn't believe me! If people get all judgemental on you(always really horrible and totally un-called for!) then you could just walk away (always a good tactic) or just politely ask them to mind their own business.
Don't be afraid of showing your scars. They are proof that you have survived what life has thrown at you.


If anyone asks you can always give them an outrageous answer such as 'i had a fight with i tiger'. That puts them off and they shut up then!
Well done for having the courage to admit that you do self harm and that you are trying to stop.





You must be on your recovery journey to even consider it, and also getting the job as well.......... all means good positive steps are being taken to help yourself!!





Talk to your GP, see if he/she can help with any suggestions, I'm sure they will be pleased with what you want to do and how you feel.





Also try finding out if there is a local Mind in your area:





http://www.mind.org.uk/Mind+in+your+area鈥?/a>





they are great places to get support and information.





Also see if you can get hold of a copy of this book, it might help





http://www.mind.org.uk/osb/itemdetails.c鈥?/a>





maybe your local library will have it or be able to get hold of it you, so you don't have to buy it.





Wherever you go some people will see the scars and know how they were caused, others won't even notice them, some will ignore the, others will want to ask questions, some will be judgemental, others will understand..........





I haven't got all the answers, not even sure I have an answer, but I'm trying to offer some suggestions. I'm not an expert either, but someone who has/does self harm but with a genuine admiration for you.





In the end what matters more is how you feel about yourself and the scars, and it shouldn't matter what others think. Easier to say than to put into practice, unfortunately.





If only all the people who suffer and have used self harm as a way of coping could get together and put on a huge display..... so that the whole world could see......... so that they raise awareness............ and others would understand....





Then, and only then, would people stop and consider what inner turmoil and pain that person must have been in to do such a thing to themselves.





Good luck with everything.
Surgery might help.
You can say you had a bad accident %26amp; do not want to talk about it.That will shut them up.Good Luck in your new job %26amp; the future.
Come up with a crazy story. Shark attack, bar fight, whatever, make humor about it if you see someone staring. Trust me, it will make them at ease and will lift any tension present. You must learn to accept this. I applaud you for considering not hiding them any longer...that is the first step. You'll be fine. :-)





Good luck.
I'be heard of this oil from the Amazon,Andes which is supposed to be very good for treating scars, it has also been featured in the Mail on Sunday %26amp; Sunday Times %26amp; You magazine.(see link for articles)


It's 拢9.99 for 20ml %26amp; some helth shops sells them or u can order from link below.


Also I've heard honey is good for treating scars:


For more info please go here %26amp; type in scars or any relevant words in search:


http://earthclinic.com/
Try using bio oil. My daughter had a major op on her leg and had a scar that would of looked just right on frankenstein but it's already fading even after just a few weeks. If people notice it's nothing to do with them anyway. most people won't ask. Good luck and stay strong.
probably wont help if you have severe amounts of scarring but a freind of mine had tattoos over her's incorperating them into the design
Many will notice obvious self-inflicted wounds/scars but most of them would/should be smart enough to not say anything. (unless you continue to cut yourself.)





As for employment; a friend of mine who used to do the same thing got a job in an International organization. So, I wouldn't worry about it too much. (Since you stopped doing this to yourself. Right?)





If people ask just tell them ';Oh, it's a long story.'; etc. and don't talk about it and let them know that it's no longer an issue. You don't need to lie about it because you have nothing to be ashamed of, and instead you should be proud of yourself for no longer doing it. Good luck. :)
be honest speak to the matron/nurse in charge and explain that you used to self harm but dont any more and would like it if you could wear a long sleeved top underneath the short one? they will admire your honesty and it proves to yourself and them that you are admitting to the problem which will help you stop.


i have really bad eczma on my hands i used to cover them by pulling long sleeves over or tuck them in pockets as people stared and asked quetions or kids bullyed me. now i think fxxx it i am who i am and if they dont like it they im not worth my friendship.


Also speak to your gp about counselling or look in the local phonebook or internet for local support groups regarding your problem. Could one of your parents or best mates be there to giver you support also?


good luck, p.s the caring profession is so rewarding and you build up good repors with clients and good oppertunitys to train for qualifications, how you enjoy it :-)
I've found a few gels/creams in chemist shops that work quite well for fading scars, otherwise foundation works quite well, as do tinted moisturisers and fake tan (sometimes).
be honest with people...tell them what you did...tell them how stupid it is....maybe someone can learn from ';your mistakes';..do not ask questions if you do not want honest answers...honesty hurts sometimes....thanks for asking and good luck
I am a assistant in nursing in a nursing home at the moment and you can bet your bottom dollar the residents in your facility will ask, I certainly on this occasion would not tell the truth that i was hurting myself, as a nurse number one rule is to care for your self first before you can care for others, just make something up like you came off a horse into a barb wire fence. You will get very hot doing this type of work, but there is also a product in the chemists called bio oil and its suppose to be great for facial scarring, stretch marks, and scars in general good luck, and I think helping others will make you feel better about yourself
if the scabs have fallen of then try putting cover-up on them, it may not work but it's something, of get some scar treatment stuff. I used to cut to so I know what you are going thew.


good luck!
just dont bother yourself about the comments of other people.. just be confident enough that you can carry yourself even you have scars.. its just an outside beauty and what matter most is in the inside..me too have scars but im not ashame of showing it because i dont think that others would have problem with that.. maybe it will affect your self esteem.. in that case you can buy over the counter products.. theres so many brands in the market now a days.. but remember.. just be yourself girl.. enjoy life and eppreciate the beauty god has given you..
well i actually used this. i got in a fight with a rake. but i would say to try to be come comfortable showing them. it is a chapter in your life and it is and experience you have overcame. you should be proud.
If you have scars, even if you stop, you'll have to wear long sleeves for the rest of your life. Wear a long sleeve shirt under your work uniform and tell your boss that you were in a car accident and are embarassed about the scaring it left. Sorry, that's just the consequences of choosing to cut yourself.
  • revlon india
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment